Voting Guide

Voter Registration Deadline: 30 days before Election Day


  • Primary Election Voter Registration Deadline: July 18

  • Primary Election: August 16

  • General Election Voter Registration Deadline: October 10

  • General Election: November 8

Students have a decision about where to register to vote.

You have a right to register to vote at the address you consider the place where you live, whether that is your family's home or the place where you attend school. You should update your registration anytime this home address changes.

You may only be registered and vote in one location.

Alaska’s voter registration form asks for your Alaska driver’s license number, State ID number, your full Social Security number, or the last four digits of your Social Security number. Be sure to provide one of these numbers if you have it.

Voters who appear to vote in person during the early voting period or on Election Day must show ID. A wide range of IDs are acceptable, such as:

  • An official voter ID card

  • A state-issued driver’s license or ID card

  • A U.S. passport

  • Hunting or fishing license issued by Alaska

  • Other current photo ID

  • Non-photo ID that includes the voter’s name and address like a utility bill, bank statement, government check, or other government issued documents are also acceptable.

Voters who cannot present an ID may still vote if they are positively identified by an election official, or by casting a provisional ballot.

Make a plan. Look up your voting site at: https://myvoterinformation.alaska.gov/ 

By Mail

By Electronic Transmission

Early In-person

Election Day

  • Voting sites will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Election Day. If you are in line by closing time, you have the right to cast a ballot.

Registering to Vote Does Not Affect Your:

Federal Financial Aid

Where you register to vote won’t affect federal financial aid like Pell Grants, Perkins or Stafford loans, or your dependency status for FAFSA

Status as a Dependent on Your Parents’ Taxes

Being registered to vote at a different address from your parents does not prevent them from claiming you as a dependent on their taxes

Tuition Status

Being deemed out-of-state for tuition purposes does not prevent you from choosing to register to vote in your campus community


Will registering to vote in Alaska affect my driver’s license or car registration?

Registering to vote in Alaska does not necessarily affect your driver's license or car registration. However, as a new resident of Alaska, you may be required to make changes to your driver's license or car registration regardless of wheter your register to vote there. You may with to contact the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles.

Fair Elections Center and Campus Vote Project intend the information contained herein is used only as a general guide. This document should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed North Carolina legal professional.
Last updated March 2019