Voting Guide

Voter Registration Deadline: On or before the 29th day prior to Election Day


  • Presidential Preference Election Registration Deadline: February 18

  • Presidential Preference Election: March 17

  • Primary Election (Other Offices): July 6

  • Primary Election (Other Offices): August 4

  • General Election Registration Deadline: October 5

  • General Election: November 3

Students have a choice about where to register to vote.


Students attending college may register at their campus address or choose to remain registered or register at their permanent or home address.


You may only be registered and vote in one location.

Arizona’s voter registration form asks for your Arizona driver’s license or state ID number, or the last four digits of your Social Security number. Make sure to provide this information on the registration form. While all voters need to show ID at the polls (see “ID to Vote” section below), first-time voters in the state who register by mail will need to submit a copy of identification with an early ballot if they failed to provide this information on the registration form.

Arizona also has a proof of citizenship requirement for registering to vote in state and local elections. Providing an Arizona driver’s license or state ID number issued after October 1, 1996, on either the state or federal voter registration form, fulfills the proof of citizenship requirement. You don’t need to provide anything more. If you don’t have an Arizona driver’s license or state ID issued after October 1, 1996, you will be registered for federal elections either way but you will need to provide proof of citizenship in order to vote in state and local elections. Proof of citizenship includes any one of the items on the list below. If you fail to provide that and the election official is not able to match you with an existing motor vehicles record showing you proved your citizenship, you will only be able to receive a federal-only ballot and will not be able to vote in state and local elections.

•    A photocopy of a U.S. birth certificate and supporting legal documentation (i.e. marriage certificate) if your name has changed;
•    A photocopy of the front pages of your passport;
•    Naturalization documents or your Alien Registration Number;
•    Indian Census Number, Bureau of Indian Affairs Card Number, Tribal Treaty Card Number, or Tribal Enrollment Number; or
•    A photocopy of your Tribal Certificate of Indian Blood or Tribal or Bureau of Indian Affairs Affidavit of Birth.

All voters must present ID at the polls. Voters have several options: they can present one form of ID which bears the name, address, and photo of the voter (List 1); two forms of non–photo ID which bear the name and address of the voter (List 2); a List 1 photo ID with a non–matching address plus a List 2 non-photo ID with a matching address; or a U.S. passport or military ID without any address plus a List 2 non–photo ID with a matching address.

•    List 1: Acceptable forms of photo ID include: an Arizona driver’s license or identification card; tribal identification or enrollment card; or other valid U.S. federal, state, or local government–issued identification.
•    List 2: Acceptable forms of non–photo ID include: a voter registration card; a utility (including cell phone) bill; bank or credit union statement; Arizona vehicle registration; Arizona vehicle insurance card; Indian census card; property tax statement; county recorder’s certificate; tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal ID; other valid U.S. federal, state, or local government–issued identification; and any mail addressed to the voter marked “Official Election Material.”

•    Utility bills must be dated within 90 days of the election to be valid.
•    College or university IDs that lack addresses cannot be used as voter ID, even if the voter has a separate document that shows their address.

Make a plan. Look up your voting site and hours at: https://voter.azsos.gov/VoterView/RegistrantSearch.do

By Mail

  • Voters do not need an excuse to vote early by mail in Arizona. Voters wishing to vote early by mail ballot can request this ballot from their local County Recorder.

  • The early ballot request form must be received by the County Recorder by the 11th day before Election Day.

  • After you vote, you must mail your early ballot so that it is received by the County Recorder or drop it off at any polling place in the voter’s county of residence by no later than 7 p.m. on Election Day.


Early In-Person

  • A voter may request and cast or simply cast an early voting ballot at any early voting location site between 27 days before Election Day and the Friday before Election Day. If you requested an early ballot, you are not required to cast that ballot—you can still vote in person, so long as you only vote once.


Election Day

  • Voting sites will be open from 6 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Election Day. If you are in line by the closing time then you must be allowed to vote.

Registering to Vote Does Not Affect Your:

  • Federal Financial Aid

    • Where you register to vote will not affect federal financial aid such as Pell Grants, Perkins or Stafford loans, or your dependency status for FAFSA

  • Status as a Dependent on Your Parents’ Taxes

    • Being registered to vote at a different address from your parents does not prevent them from claiming you as a dependent on their taxes

  • Tuition Status

    • Being deemed out-of-state for tuition purposes does not prevent you from choosing to register to vote in your campus community


Will registering to vote in Arizona affect my driver’s license or car registration?

  • Yes. If you register to vote in Arizona, you are considered a resident for driver licensing and vehicle registration purposes. This means you must obtain an Arizona driver’s license and register your car with your local Arizona Motor Vehicles Division.

Fair Elections Center and Campus Vote Project intend the information contained herein is used only as a general guide. This document should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed North Carolina legal professional.
Last updated March 2019