Voting Guide

There is no voter registration deadline. You can register to vote in Vermont on any day, including Election Day.


  • Presidential Primary Election: March 3

  • Partisan Primary (Other Offices): August 11

  • General Election: November 3

Students have a choice about where to register to vote.


Students attending college may register at their campus address or choose to remain registered or register at their permanent or home address.


You may only be registered and vote in one location.

  • Vermont’s voter registration form asks for your Vermont driver’s license, driver´s permit or personal ID (PID) number, or the last four digits of your Social Security Number. Be sure to provide one of these numbers if you have it.

  • If you are registering to vote for the first time online or by mail, you must submit one of the following forms of ID:

  • A photocopy of a photo identification (driver’s license or U.S. passport)

  • Current bank statement

  • Current utility bill

  • Another government-issued document with your name and address.

  • No photo ID is required if you register through a state agency or a voter registration drive.

You do not need to provide an ID to vote in Vermont, unless you are a first-time voter who registered by mail. In that case, you will need to bring an acceptable form of ID:

  • Valid photo ID (such as driver’s license or U.S. Passport)

  • Current utility bill

  • Current bank statement

  • Another government-issued document

Make a plan. Check your voter registration and absentee ballot status, look up your voting site and hours at: https://mvp.sec.state.vt.us/


Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all registered Vermont voters will be mailed a ballot by their city or town clerk for the general election on November 3.

You can still vote in-person for the election. Your town or city clerk may have outdoor or drive-through voting options available. Contact your clerk’s office for additional information.

By Mail

  • Any registered voter may vote an absentee ballot by mail in Vermont without an excuse.

  • Applications for absentee ballots can be made online, by mail, or in person with your town clerk. Requests for absentee ballots must be made by 5 p.m. on the day before Election Day. If you are requesting a ballot online or by mail, be sure to factor in the time it takes for the ballot to be mailed to you so you can return the completed ballot on time.

  • Completed absentee ballots can be returned by mail, hand delivered to the town clerk at their office until close of business the day before Election Day, or hand delivered to a polling place by 7 p.m. on Election Day.

Early In-person

All registered voters may vote an absentee ballot early in person at their town clerk’s office without an excuse. Early voting in person begins 45 days before a primary or general election and 20 days before a municipal election.

Election Day

Voting sites will open between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. and close at 7 p.m. on Election Day. If you are in line by the closing time, then you have a right to vote.

Registering to Vote Does Not Affect Your:

Federal Financial Aid

Where you register to vote will not affect federal financial aid such as Pell Grants, Perkins or Stafford loans, or your dependency status for FAFSA.

Status as a Dependent on Your Parents’ Taxes

Being registered to vote at a different address from your parents does not prevent them from claiming you as a dependent on their taxes.

Tuition Status

Being deemed out-of-state for tuition purposes does not prevent you from choosing to register to vote in your campus community.

Will registering to vote in Vermont affect my driver’s license or car registration?

As full-time student in Vermont, you may have to make these changes regardless of whether you register to vote in Vermont. For more information, you may wish to contact the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles.

Fair Elections Center and Campus Vote Project intend the information contained herein is used only as a general guide. This document should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed North Carolina legal professional.
Last updated March 2019