Voting Guide

Mail-in and Online Voter Registration Deadline: 20 days before Election Day

Deadline to register in person at your municipal clerk’s office: Friday before Election Day

**Election Day Registration at the polls is also available.**


  • Mail-In and Online Voter Registration Deadline for Spring Primary: January 29

  • In-Person Registration Deadline for Spring Primary: February 14

  • Spring Primary (Election Day Registration available at polls): February 18

  • Mail-In and Online Voter Registration Deadline for Spring Election and Presidential Primary: March 18

  • In-Person Registration Deadline for Spring Election and Presidential Primary: April 3

  • Spring Election and Presidential Primary (Election Day Registration available at polls): April 7

  • Mail-In and Online Voter Registration Deadline: July 22

  • In-Person Registration Deadline for Partisan Primary: August 7

  • Partisan Primary (Election Day Registration available at polls): August 11

  • Mail-In and Online Voter Registration Deadline for General Election: October 14

  • In-Person Registration Deadline for General Election: October 30

  • General Election (Election Day Registration available at polls): November 3

Students have a choice about where to register to vote.


Students attending college may register at their campus address or choose to remain registered or register at their permanent or home address.


You may only be registered and vote in one location.

Except for military and overseas voters, all registrants must provide a copy of or show proof of residence when registering to vote or re-registering to change a name or address.  Proof of residence isn’t required for registering online. Acceptable proof-of-residence documents must contain a name and current address and must be one of the following:

  • A current Wisconsin driver’s license or ID card;

  • Another ID card or license issued by Wisconsin;

  • Any government document or check including benefits and federal student loan documents;

  • A university, college, or technical college photo ID card ONLY if the voter provides a tuition fee receipt from the last 9 months;

  • Public university and technical college correspondence and documents including admissions correspondence, financial aid notices, tuition fee receipts, report cards, schedules, or MyUW-Madison/ Student Center webpages;

  • An employer photo ID with a current address;

  • Bank or credit union statement;

  • A utility bill like gas, electric, water, cell phone, or cable bill for a period beginning no earlier than 90 days before Election Day;

  • Paycheck;

  • A credit card statement issued by a bank or credit union;

  • A retail store credit card statement (Kohl’s, Menards, etc.);

  • Current residential lease (Not valid if registering by mail);

  • A contract or intake document for a residential care facility;

  • A tribal ID from a federally recognized Indian tribe (must meeting address requirements); or

  • An affidavit on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual’s residence for voting purposes.


Wisconsin’s voter registration form asks for your Wisconsin driver’s license or ID number, or the last four digits of your Social Security number. Be sure to provide one of these numbers if you have it.

Both in-person and absentee Wisconsin voters MUST show one of the following types of photo ID at the polls or submit a copy with the absentee ballot request.

  • Wisconsin driver’s license or ID card (must be current or expired after the last general election) [Suspended or revoked licenses are valid]

  • Military or uniformed service ID card

  • U.S. Passport

  • Certificate of naturalization issued within two years of the general election’s date

  • Tribal ID card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin

  • College, university or technical college student ID card with a signature, an issuance date, and an expiration date no later than two years after the issuance date. It must be presented with proof of current enrollment like a tuition fee receipt or letter verifying enrollment, as a paper copy or displayed on a smartphone or tablet.

  • Ticket/citation from the last 60 days if you had to surrender your driver’s license


Photo ID does NOT need to have any address or a current address, just your name and photo. If you do not have an accepted form of voter ID, a free voter ID card can be obtained from the DMV office. To get info on that process, visit bringit.wi.gov.

Make a plan. Look up your voting site and hours at: myvote.wi.gov/

By Mail

  • Wisconsin voters can request an absentee ballot by using the online Application for Absentee Ballot or print out the form. No excuse is required.

  • Requests for absentee ballots must be received by mail, email, or fax by 5 p.m. five days before the election or completed in person at the general registrar’s office by 5 p.m. four days before the election.

  • Completed ballots must be returned so that they are received by 8 p.m. on Election Day.


Early In-person


Election Day

  • Voting sites will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Election Day. If you are in line by the closing time, then you must be allowed to vote.

Registering to Vote Does Not Affect Your:

  • Federal Financial Aid

    • Where you register to vote will not affect federal financial aid such as Pell Grants, Perkins or Stafford loans, or your dependency status for FAFSA

  • Status as a Dependent on Your Parents’ Taxes

    • Being registered to vote at a different address from your parents does not prevent them from claiming you as a dependent on their taxes

  • Tuition Status

    • Being deemed out-of-state for tuition purposes does not prevent you from choosing to register to vote in your campus community


Will registering to vote in Wisconsin affect my driver’s license or car registration?

  • No.

Fair Elections Center and Campus Vote Project intend the information contained herein is used only as a general guide. This document should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed North Carolina legal professional.
Last updated March 2019