top of page
Campus Vote Project Logo
Fair Elections Center Logo


Voting Guide

Registration Deadlines and Election Dates

Voter Registration Deadline: 21 days before Election Day


  • Primary Election Voter Registration Deadline: July 11

  • Primary Election: August 1

  • General Election Voter Registration Deadline: October 17

  • General Election: November 7

Official Election Websites

More election information available at:

Online voter registration available at:

Mail-in PDF voter registration form available at:

Register at School or Home

Students have a decision about where to register to vote.

You have a right to register to vote at the address you consider the place where you live, whether that is your family's home or the place where you attend school. You should update your registration anytime this home address changes.

You may only be registered and vote in one location.

What Type of ID Do I Need to Register?

The voter registration form asks for your Kansas driver’s license or ID number, or the last four digits of your Social Security number. Be sure to provide one of these numbers if you have it.

You must have a Kansas driver’s license or nondriver’s identification card number to register online.

What Type of ID Do I Need to Vote?

All voters in Kansas must show a photo ID to cast a ballot in person, including advance in-person ballots and voting at the polls on Election Day. A valid ID must include your name, photograph, and, if it has an expiration date, be unexpired. Voters 65 years of age or older may, however, use an expired photo ID. If you cannot present an acceptable ID at the polls, you may vote a provisional ballot that will be counted if you provide a valid ID to your county election official in person, electronically, or by mail before the meeting of the county board of canvassers.

Acceptable forms of photo ID include:

  • A driver’s license issued by Kansas or another state

  • A student ID issued by an accredited Kansas postsecondary educational institution

  • A state ID card issued by Kansas or by another state

  • A U.S. passport

  • A U.S. military ID

  • An ID card issued by a Native American tribe

  • A public assistance ID card issued by a government office

  • An employee ID or identification document from a municipal, county, state, or federal government office or agency

  • Concealed carry license issued by Kansas or another state

A full list of acceptable photo IDs, as well as information about obtaining a free ID, can be found at:

Voters requesting to receive advance ballots by mail must submit a copy of their photo ID with their mail-in ballot request application.

Where Do I Vote?

Make a plan. Check your registration and absentee ballot status, look up your voting site and hours at:

How Can I Vote?

Advance Voting By Mail

Any registered voter in Kansas may vote an advance ballot by mail without an excuse. Advance ballots can be requested in person at your county election office, by fax, or by mail. Applications must be received by the county election officer by the close of business on the Tuesday preceding Election Day. 

An application form is available at:

Track your absentee ballot status at:

Completed ballots submitted by mail must be postmarked on or before Election Day and received no later than close of business on the third day after the election. Completed ballots may also be submitted in person and must be received by the county election officer (including hand-delivered to any polling place in the county) by the close of polls on Election Day.

Advance Voting In-Person

Any registered voter may cast an advance ballot in-person. Advance in-person voting hours vary by county. An advance ballot may be cast in person until noon on the day before Election Day. Contact your county election office for more information about your county's advance voting period and where you can cast your advance ballot.

Election Day

Voting sites will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Election Day. If you are in line by the closing time, then you have a right to vote. Some counties may open polls as early as 6:00 a.m. and close as late as 8:00 p.m. Contact your county election officer for more information.

Common Questions/Concerns

Registering to Vote Does Not Affect Your:

Federal Financial Aid

Where you register to vote will not affect federal financial aid such as Pell Grants, Perkins or Stafford loans, or your dependency status for FAFSA.

Status as a Dependent on Your Parents’ Taxes

Being registered to vote at a different address from your parents does not prevent them from claiming you as a dependent on their taxes.

Tuition Status

Being deemed out-of-state for tuition purposes does not prevent you from choosing to register to vote in your campus community.

Will registering to vote in Kansas affect my driver’s license or car registration?

As a full-time student in Kansas, you may have to register your vehicle and obtain a Kansas driver’s license, regardless of whether you register to vote in Kansas. You may wish to contact the Kansas Department of Revenue, Division of Vehicles for more information.

Fair Elections Center and Campus Vote Project intend the information contained herein to be used only as a general guide. This document should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed Kansas legal professional.

Last update April 2023

bottom of page